Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Pulling the band-aid


I have not said these words out loud yet and I am not sure why I am choosing this forum. Maybe because I need to say them out loud finally but I can’t so writing is easier, maybe because I don’t actually think anyone reads this so I am “saying” it out loud but no one will ever really know except me? Who knows? Either way, here it is. My dad was diagnosed with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF) this summer, don’t google it, it’s not pretty.

What we know…

Pulmonary Fibrosis is the scarring/thickening of your lungs which can cause shortness of breath, fatigue, and eventually lung failure.

Idiopathic basically means, we don’t know what the cause is and therefore we don’t have a specific treatment plan mapped out because we have no idea why this is happening to you.

Why I am writing this today…

My dad went for a follow up with his pulmonologist yesterday and there has been no change in his breathing tests or the radiology reports, YEAH! WHOOP! HOORAY!

What’s next…

I have determined that until my dad shows symptoms there is nothing they can do because at this point there is nothing to treat BUT if/when he does show symptoms we don’t know how quickly they will come on, to what severity, really anything…it’s a waiting game.

What you can do (if you are reading this)

PRAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment