Thursday, December 1, 2011

Being a good friend

In elementary school, being a good friend was sitting together on the bus, eating lunch together, and sticking up for them.
In middle school, being a good friend was sitting together on the bus, eating lunch together, sticking up for them, not liking the same boys, disliking the same girls, and sleepovers.

In high school, being a good friend was sitting together on the bus, eating lunch together, sticking up for them, not liking the same boys, disliking the same girls, sleepovers, playing on the same sports teams, taking the same classes and the same extra curricular activities.

In college, being a good friend was going out for drinks and dancing, not liking the same boys, disliking the same girls, living in the same dorm or being roommates, taking the same classes and the participating in same extra curricular activities, being in the same sorority,

As an adult I am struggling to figure how to be a good friend...

Most days after work, the gym, dogs, and dinner I feel like I barely have time to ask Mark how his day was. How can I possible keep up a great friendship with all the people who have come in and out of my life the last 29 years?

I love my friends and try to do everything I can to make sure they know that I love them, and would be there for them if they needed me, but I constantly wonder if it is enough?

Big and small things come up daily as an adult and if I only catch up with someone monthly I may miss something.

What makes a good friend as an adult?
  • Calling one a week/month to catch up?
  • Occasionally "liking" or commenting on their status and pictures on facebook?
  • Mass emailing with general family updates?
  • Calling or texting on holidays?
  • Having an hour lunch once a month?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Andrea, Thought I would stop by your blog, and found this post really interesting. I ask myself the same question all the time. In the past I have confidently said I'm a good friend, a great friend even. Now, not so sure my friends would say that about me. I hope they know I think of them often and they are always in my heart. I just don't know how to make time for EVERYONE, and like you constantly wonder what is enough! Hope you are well.
    Take care,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete